Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gentle Reminders

Hey, folks.  I just have to tell ya, I am exhausted.  I feel like it has taken me forever to get settled after getting home from our travels.  Finding places for presents.  Doing laundry.  Grocery shopping.  Sick baby.  Buy car.  Sort out old baby clothes.  The list is endless and new things keep popping up, so I feel like it isn't getting any shorter.  And I can't seem to find motivation either.  I haven't worn make up all week.  I sometimes hope to get things done when Emerson goes to bed at night, but who am I kidding?  I am exhausted by then.  I feel like it is even taking energy to write this post!  I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but I kind of feel like a downer right now!  Sometimes I wonder how I will even run a household when I have more kids... 

I was feeling a little depressed after putting Emerson down tonight, because I can't get caught up, but the Lord reminded me of a few things.  Emerson won't remember if his clothes were a little wrinkly because they weren't folded right away.  He won't remember if our house was cluttered or dusty when he was little.  He won't remember that our Christmas decorations stayed up halfway through January (he might actually like that).  And he won't remember if we had moldy food in the back of our fridge (not that we do or anything).  But he WILL remember if I cuddled him when he wasn't feeling well.  He will remember the hours we spent outside on nice days.  He will remember our regular trips to the library to get new books.  And he will remember mommy and daddy praying with him every night before bed. 

Even though sometimes I am brought down because our house is not always immaculate, I want to value the time I have with Emerson, because he will never be 9 months and 12 days old again.  Raising a child is much more important than keeping my house clean.  And when Emerson goes off to college, I want to look back and know that I made the most of every opportunity to speak the gospel to him and to love him.  He will benefit most from that.  Here I thought this was going to be a short post, but I've gotten on my soap box.  Really, it is more like a pep talk to myself... publicly.  I hope you enjoyed my pep talk.  I'll stop now.

But just so you know, I have something exciting and scary to share with you next time I write (clarification: not pregnant).  So, check back soon to find out the new changes going on in the Gutshall family.  That is, when I get the energy and inspiration to write about it!  I hope you have survived this first week back to the grind.  Let's do it cheerfully!  God bless :)

3 comments:

  1. I can relate so much to your post right now...I never imagined it would take so long/so much energy to get things back "in order" after the break. Thanks for the reminder...it's easy to get caught up in all the little details sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you read my mind and write this post? My thoughts exactly and probably my biggest "struggle" as a mom-figuring out what really matters and sticking to it. We missed you at playgroup today! We were all saying the same thing-we hope to get a lot done when our babies go to sleep but we are too worn out. God gives rest to the weary...I think He is so proud of us when we choose the moments that matter. Be encouraged! And thank-you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so great. And you're an awesome mama. Let's hang out soon!

    And I'm very intrigued by that last paragraph!! :)

    ReplyDelete