Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

I recently bought whole wheat flour on a whim.  Naturally, I had to look up some whole wheat recipes, because I had none.  I have since made whole wheat chocolate chip cookies, blueberry muffins, and blueberry pancakes.  I used to be a Bisquik gal when it came to pancakes, but I have converted to the whole wheat, homemade pancake and haven't looked back!  With whole wheat flour, the pancakes seem much heartier and you feel healthier eating them.  I want to share the recipe I've used with you.  It was found here, and I only made a couple changes.  The first change was that I doubled it.  The second was that I replaced the artificial sweetener with sugar.  I don't really do artificial sweetener these days.  Here is my version of the recipe.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
2 Cups of milk, plus more if necessary
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup blueberries*

  1.   Mix together flour and baking powder, set aside. Beat the egg, milk, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir in flour until just moistened, add blueberries, and stir to incorporate. Add additional milk if batter is too thick.
  2. Preheat a skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Pour desired amount of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbly.  Turn, and continue cooking until golden brown.
 *Tip: I used frozen blueberries and if you do this, you may want to let your berries thaw a little bit before cooking the pancakes or the batter surrounding the blueberries will not cook as fast as the rest of the pancake, resulting in batter-y spots.

I like recipes like this, because you usually have most of the ingredients on hand (especially if you buy frozen blueberries).  It makes for a great weekend breakfast.  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment