Friday, February 11, 2011

We've Got Knits!

Ok, so I was trying to come up with a creative title for this post to share with you about my new journey as a knitter.  There were several creative ideas online such as:

Will Knit for Chocolate
Knit Happens
Oh, Knit!
Knitphomaniac

And the ones I made up "In knit to win knit" or "We're all in knit together".  Cheesy I know.

But, Caleb insisted on me titling it, "Ahh, we've got knits!"  As hesitant as I was, he told me this could be his contribution to "our" blog.  So, I gave in.  No, we don't have lice knits (thank goodness!).  We have knitted knits.  

It all began back in October when Caleb and I decided it would be good for us to make our family Christmas presents, since we are poor and all.  So, we stopped by Wal-Mart, grabbed a kit of knitting supplies which was supposed to teach us to knit.  Shockingly, it actually worked.  We knitted presents for our families; hats and scarves.  And I am really enjoying this new hobby!  It is a nice relaxing way to spend your down time while being productive at the same time!  I have found that this is a fantastic skill to have for birthday and Christmas presents.  It makes gifts more meaningful, because you devote so much time to it and in the end you have stitched every single stitch that makes up that particular gift.  How special :)  So, here are the Christmas presents that we gave to our families.  I've found it is difficult to take clear pictures of knitted objects, but here is what we've got:

Ariel's hat- you can see the detail more clearly on this picture because it is a lighter color:

Ashley's hat:

Mom's scarf- it has a ribbed pattern, but you can't see it that clearly:

The hats Caleb made for the boys (he hasn't picked knitting back up since Christmas!):

Danielle and Greg sporting their knitted gifts:

Family shot:

So, my newest projects are a birthday gift for Sarah and a hat for baby Emerson to wear as he comes home from the hospital.  I am making Sarah one of those ear warmer/headband things.  So, I made a practice one with some extra yarn I had on hand and decided I will give it to the 7-year-old girl next door.  Sarah's will not have the same type of flower as this one.  I will try to crochet a flower for Sarah's headband:



And Emerson's baby hat will require me to cable.  So I have been practicing on some swatches the past few snow days.  Here is the baby cable I will use for Emerson's baby hat:


And here is a big cable, which I love.  I can't wait to make something (a blanket or scarf) using a cable pattern:

It is fun to challenge yourself to learn a new skill.  Each time I pick out a new pattern to make, it requires me to learn a new knitting skill.  My knitting skill repertoire is expanding!  I should always have a project I am working on so I can learn more and become a better knitter.  Then I can truly be called a knitphomaniac.

2 comments:

  1. Reid and Ashley showed me the hats they received for Christmas, SO CUTE! What a nice skill to have. My grandmother once tried to teach me and gave up! Wish I hadn't let her give up on me. I actually have some of her knitting needles. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super impressed! That cable swatch looks really cool! I'm feeling guilty for not having knitted in a while, but maybe your post will inspire me to work on that hat I started. :) We need to catch up with you guys soon...it seems like it's been a while!

    ReplyDelete