Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Live Simply

I have been pondering lately how one is supposed to enter into the real world with a real income and maintain a simple lifestyle.  I am aware of the temptation in my own life to strive for things of this world (wealth and possessions) as we make this transition.  We currently live in a one bedroom low-income apartment.  Our apartment is so small that we have to make an effort not to acquire possessions because we have no room for them.  However, we are moving into a three bedroom duplex this month and I already have to fight the urge to go buy things to make it all pretty, even though we already have enough furniture to fill the place.  I hear the call from other Christians to live simply, below our means and to give abundantly to those in need.  I prayed this morning that God would help me desire His glory over the things of this world.  The world tells me that I need a big, pretty, decorative house, nice cars, an adorable nursery for our baby, expensive outings, stylish clothes, piles of money saved up “just in case”, and a sparkly, shiny life.  I am being pulled between this lifestyle and the simple one that Jesus modeled.  So many times I lose sight of the things above and set my attention of the earthly things.  I need constant discipline and reminding.  Why acquire possessions that eventually come to nothing?  Why offer such a comfortable, me-centered lifestyle to my children, teaching them it’s all about us?  
 
How can we raise our children in a way that always directs them towards Christ?  What a big responsibility parenting is… I want to do everything right to teach my children the right perspective on life, which I still struggle with myself.  I find peace knowing that God is sovereign and He will accomplish His will for them.  It’s not all in my hands.  Until then we will just try to do as God leads us in parenting from day to day.  Currently memorizing this passage:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.”                                                                       Deuteronomy 6:5-9

1 comment:

  1. Such a great reminder today!! Thanks for sharing! It is so hard sometimes not to fall into those temptations. I'm so thankful we have a God who forgives me even though I constantly lose these battles of temptation.

    ReplyDelete