Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Do I have a green thumb?

I'm not sure if it's the move into our new home or if it's my nesting instincts, but I've decided to start a flower garden!  Actually, I've wanted to have a beautiful flower garden for awhile now and can envision a colorful oasis in my secluded backyard of my dream home.  However, I'm not in my dream home yet.  But no worries; you have to start somewhere right?  This is a great place for me to learn the basics of gardening!  On a recent trip to Lowe's, Caleb and I were halted at the entrance to the store by the flower seed display.  After a long bit of pondering which flowers we wanted, we left with seed packets for 

Shasta Daisies:

Red Zinnias:

And the Cypress Vine:

We honestly had no idea what we were looking for (other than beauty), but as I researched today, I found that these are good beginning gardener plants.  So, today is the day.. I began my journey as a gardener!  I planted my seeds in an egg carton and some pots I recently got from Target.  


I will attempt to get them some sunlight by storing them on window sills of our home.  Once the seeds sprout (or germinate... I'm learning gardening lingo!) and we are not at risk for a frost anymore, I will transport the sprouts outside to the appropriate spots for the amount of sunlight needed.  I am going to attempt to document my experiences as a gardener on this blog.  Oh, we also have a rose plant in our front yard which was here when we moved in, so we'll see how that one goes too.  

Now, I have some familial competition on the green thumb issue.  My brother-in-law, Reid, has a giant green thumb.  He has a great vegetable garden each year.  Beyond that, he can even grow things unintentionally!  Last October, Reid threw out their Halloween pumpkin behind his garden.  What did he find next year, but a nice crop of pumpkins!!  That never happens!  I remember trying to plant apple seeds as a kid, never to see the fruit of my labor.  Anyway, time for me to sign off as I should be knocking out other items on my to-do list (like clean up the soil mess I made downstairs; next time I will do that job outside.  See I'm already learning new things!).  See you soon, the lady with the potential green thumb.

1 comment:

  1. Too fun. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I can remember sunflower seeds accidentally getting planted when I was a kid and actual sunflowers popped up.

    ReplyDelete