Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Birthday Boy

Friends, we have a one year old on our hands!  We had a wonderful weekend celebrating with friends and family and Emerson soaked up all the attention.  Before his birthday I had checked out a book from the library about birthdays.  We looked at the pictures and talked about cake and parties and presents.  So, the week of his birthday, if I talked about how he was about to have a birthday, he would hurry over to the books and find the birthday book.  He knew what we were talking about.

Caleb's parents and grandparents visited for the weekend.  Emerson loved his turtle sandbox from his grandparents and he kept climbing in and out. 


Saturday afternoon (his birthday), we installed his forward facing car seat.  I have been looking forward to this, as Emerson has become more resistant to being strapped into the infant car seat.  A few days into it, I have to say he loves it.  He and I were "making eyes" at each other in my mirror today while driving.

After Emerson's afternoon nap we had a birthday celebration for him at Wilson Park.  It was the perfect day.  Mid seventies and sunny.  Just about all his family and playgroup friends made it out for the party :)  It was a rubber ducky theme since Emerson LOVES bath time so much.  I had fun planning and decorating.


  

  

The theme almost turned into "It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to" when mom tried to put Emerson in the ball pit.  He never warmed up to it the whole party.


He was much more content to watch the other babies play in it.

Emerson is a loved kid.  He had a great group of family and friends there to celebrate his life.



Emerson knew just what to do when opening presents.  He made the funniest facial expressions.  He made a surprised look after every single gift.  I don't know where he gets it (please note sarcasm--see below).


This darn cute face. Over and over.


Concerning the cake, let's just say he inherited my sweet tooth. 




The most special gift was this rocking chair which was originally owned by Emerson's great-great-great aunt in 1890.  He loves it.  Imagine how many toddlers Emerson's size rocked in this little red chair throughout the past century. 


We are blessed to have Emerson's sweet life and pray that we can have many more years with him.  I think he felt pretty special this weekend.  I think I'll keep him :)


5 comments:

  1. It was such a fun party!! Happy birthday Emerson! I love that pic with you and him opening presents with the same face. So cute. :) Thanks for letting us help celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is looking like such a big boy! What a cute party idea! I'm planning on making a trip to Fayetteville with Jesse in a month or so, so we'll have to try to get the boys together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet boy! I'm so glad that everything went well! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special birthday boy! And, what a blessing to be able to be a part of the celebration! There are only good days ahead as Emerson continues to bring sweet joy to your hearts! Love you, all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute pictures! All those photographers did a great job of making this special day memorable. :)

    ReplyDelete