Friday, August 16, 2013

I can't do it all!

Guys, I just haven't figured out how to do everything expected of me.  How am I to do a good job training, teaching, caring for, and loving my kids, while keeping a clean house, and a cute house, and have relationships, and seek God through Scripture and prayer, and exercise, not to mention ministering to anyone else.  I always fall short.  I question whether I use my time wisely enough.  I can't seem to manage it all!!  I stay up too late (10 pm, by the way) to spend time with my husband, and then I get bad sleep (hungry baby), then I can't drag myself out of bed to spend time reading and praying before my kids get up (who are always up before 6:30)!  So I just can't do it.  I find myself feeling like I'm failing.  I struggle with comparing myself to other moms who somehow do it all.  The enemy always tries to use comparison to get me down.

I was praying about all this and then began to read 2 Peter 3.  I was reminded of some very good things.  Basically, this earth is one day going to be destroyed (2 Peter 3:7).  Anything I am working on that can be burned up (cleaning, decorating, exercising, etc.) will not last.  So this makes my decision for me.  If I want to do something that will last eternally, I must choose to seeking Christ and making Him known to others. 

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.  But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolve, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.   2 Peter 3:9-10

What is worth living for?  What works of mine will be exposed?  I want to value and live for what Christ valued and lived for.  I want to live for things that will last:

-Knowing Christ
-Making Christ known through relationships
-Making Him known to my children as a mother

NOT
-a perfect body
-a spotless house
-a perfectly decorated house

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. You're right, you can't do everything. :) No one can. Pinterest leads us to believe that other women are doing everything and doing it super awesome well. I think your list at the end there is on target...Max Lucado has a quote somewhere about not putting our efforts into things that don't have eternal value. That's not to say that you can't like or want a cute house, that's to say that chosing to invite that couple or friend in need of a chat over even when things aren't perfect etc...and I've seen you value relationships over house perfection and even early sleep when all the ladies were over there a few Thursday nights ago... :) You do what you can as the opportunity is in front of you, and you pray that you are aware of when gives you a spontaneous opportunity and obedient to it. You admit you can't do it all, which makes you more real and more of an encouragement to all of those still struggling with that comparison feeling etc...I know you can't come every time to every event, but I was encouraged by your presence last night and will gladly take you in concentrated doses as you balance all the good things in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I have been really struggling with this/these same issues since number two arrived. Thank you for sharing your heart/struggle. It makes it so much easier to fight the battle against satan and my flesh knowing that I am not alone. I will be praying for you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely find myself questioning the same things and attempting to put my ducks in a row based on what the Bible says. I love Kevin McCollum's saying: "The only two things on this earth that are eternal are the Word of God and the souls of men." And then he basically goes on to infer that the only lasting thing we can do with ourselves is to devote ourselves to taking the Word to the souls of men (others and ourselves). Love this perspective because it is so clear and simple! Anyway, I'm right there with you (and Danielle), and when I find myself thinking this over, I'll be sure to pray for you ladies along with myself. :) Hugs from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say that I think you are doing an amazing job as a mama and wife!! This is a great reminder to be and stay focused on eternal things for those are what matter! I have to remind myself that, especially online, people tend to put their best foot forward, and while they may have either a beautifully decorated house, an impeccably clean house, home cooked healthy dinners every night, well-behaved children, adorable outfits, a regular and rigorous exercise routine, an outstanding spiritual walk and talk, and any number of other things we all tend to desire, it is very likely they do not have all of these things at the same time because it is just impossible! God does not call us to have many of these qualities we think we need, but he does call us to strive for a few very important things. Those are the things we should focus on. Thanks for the reminder!! And sometimes those things look a little different for each family - we just have to turn off that evil word "compare" in our lives - it's so easy to do because our society emphasizes that so much!

    ReplyDelete