Saturday, December 3, 2011

My Giving Book

I've got to tell you about an opportunity Caleb and I were given this Christmas season.  I'm pretty excited about it.  We received a package in the mail from my in-laws the week before December.  When we opened it, we found two Giving Books.  They were basically little notebooks with a letter written in the front.  The letter explained the concept to us.  Basically, Mike and DeeDee gave us each a ten dollar bill for each weekday of December leading up to Christmas.  I'm talking a total of $170 each.  Every few pages was dated and directed us how we were to give the $10 designated for that day.  Some examples are: treat a stranger, give to a child, treat a friend, give to an organization you are passionate about, etc.  Then we are to write a short summary on that page telling what we did and how it went.  When we join together for Christmas, we are going to share some of our experiences with one another.  You can give anonymously.  You can also buy an object/gift card with the money and then give that away. 

We definitely have to be intentional about making it happen.  It is more of a challenge since we only have one car.  If Caleb has the car, I might not leave the house that day!  Or if I have the car, Caleb basically goes to and from work, and it's dark by the time he gets off!  But I think it is a good for us.  I hope it trains us to look for the needs around us and to be generous.  I hope it gets us in the habit of giving regularly.  I am excited about this opportunity and I've never heard of something like this before. 

It makes you feel pretty good when you see people's reactions when they receive unexpected gifts.  But I imagine, if it were my money to begin with (not the in-laws'), it would feel like more of a sacrifice, yet more rewarding at the same time.  I am blessed with godly, amazing in-laws and it is neat to see how their money is blessing lives in Fayetteville and Chicago (bc Caleb's sister and her husband are doing this as well) without them even stepping foot out of KC.  I am excited to see how this shapes us and trains us to be more giving... year round.  Anyway, maybe this post will inspire you to do something similar.  Spread Christ's love, people.  Do it in His Name.  Have a blessed Saturday! 

4 comments:

  1. That's so great!! I really like this idea:) Have an awesome time doing it, I can't wait to hear some stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cool! You need to do a post on some of the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome! i'm excited to hear some stories of how you were both able to bless others! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, I am crazy-in-love with this idea! Seriously, how blessed are YOU with inlaws like that? {{awesome}}
    I am thinking I'd like to do this for my niece and nephew. I think I'll do it this year and then again next November so they can share their Giving Journals with us when we visit for Thanksgiving. Thanks for posting this (I found you via Stevie Rae at http://thealdrichs.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/season-of-giving/ who left a comment on our Facebook fan page).
    I just know you will be blessed in ways you can't even anticipate this month. I'd love to hear about it! Have fun and God bless!

    ReplyDelete