Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Winter Wonderland

This morning I awoke to a winter wonderland!  Well, kind of.  If you know me very well, you know that I LOVE snow.  It's in my genes.  I come from a long lineage of snow lovers.  It makes me feel giddy inside.  I was so excited to show Emerson the snow.  Yes, I am the crazy lady who took my baby outside in freezing weather to let him see, even touch, the snow.  We were only out there a few minutes and he survived :)  I will raise my kids to be snow lovers too.  I have to start young.

Anyway, I didn't even know it was supposed to snow, so this was such a great surprise!  I think it's the best that way.  These days you know if it is going to snow a week out (especially if you check the 10-day forecast every time you check your e-mail and facebook, like me).  So, we don't get surprised that often anymore.  Some of my favorite memories as a child are being woken up much later than normal on a school day to see a stark white blanket of snow covering the world outside my window and to find out school has been cancelled.  What could be more magical than that?  My mom was always giddy and squealing like a child and we all were too.  Not long after we would be bundled and outside in the freezing weather, ruining the perfect, smooth snow with footprints and probably mud building lumpy snowmen. 

Anyway, I found it humorous on my drive home from taking Caleb to work, because I was listening to the radio and they were listing traffic reports.  Of course there was a long list of accidents all over Northwest Arkansas, because Arkansans have no idea how to handle or drive in snow.  Even if it is only a quarter inch deep.  I heard some people say this winter is supposed to be as "bad" as last winter.  I'm looking forward to it.  Guess I better go buy a shovel.  I hope you enjoy our first snow, today!  Stay safe and warm!  And drink some hot cocoa while you're at it. 

2 comments:

  1. We had snow, too! Of course by 9 the sun came out and then we just had puddles, but it was fun to have snow with the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hilarious that you were one of those "crazy ladies".. hahaha. I considered taking Enoch out to see/photograph his 1st snow, but I decided not to because it was such a small amount of snow that I decided I wouldn't count it as his 1st snow. (can a mom just decide such things??) I'm also quite scared to fall while carrying him on slippery ground.

    ReplyDelete