Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Turning Two

Five days after Lyla's arrival, was Emerson's second birthday!  We already celebrated it before Lyla came, so we didn't really acknowledge it on the day of with Emerson.  

Emerson,
  The thing I love about you right now is that you are so full of life and joy all. the. time!  You are constantly galloping everywhere instead of walking.  Every day is exciting and fun and you are happy even if we just have a day at home.  You love being a big brother and I am so proud of you, because you have handled the transition wonderfully so far.  You love Lyla and ask to hold her several times a day.  You try to bring her blankets, stuffed animals, and her paci and sometimes, if she is really upset, you act pretty concerned about her.  You are so sweet with her.  I hope you two always have a special relationship. 

The night before your birthday I was feeling a little emotional about you turning two.  You got out of bed several times and we could hear you on the monitor get up and turn off the sound machine and turn on your lamp and say "i want mommy" repeatedly.  When I went in there I ended up rocking you to sleep (which rarely happens these days) and I laid next to you in your big boy bed and ended up shedding some tears because it was your last night ever to be one.  I can't believe the last two years have flown by so quickly.  I am glad you still have some baby tendencies, like crying for mommy.  I just always tend to get all sentimental on your birthdays. 

You are at a very fun stage right now and are talking enough to where I catch you saying some funny things sometimes.  I need to start writing them down right when they happen, so I can remember them.  A sweet one was that a few weeks ago, I was crying the day that Miss M was going to leave.  You noticed I was crying and said "mommy has tears"  and then you went and got Clifford and brought him over to me and said "big red dog" and sat in my lap.  I thought it was the sweetest thing.  You've also been noticing peoples feelings in books and often observe "he's happy" or "he feels like sad".  You say the words at the end of sentences in books, especially if they are rhyming books.  You are pretty good at your shapes and counting to 20 (mostly, a few numbers are skipped), but we are still working on your colors.  Your language continues to grow and you will often say 5-6 word sentences, but you often leave out the small words (a, the, etc.) that make a complete sentence.  The last few months you have done great with being dropped off at church or Bible study.  You walk right in without any tears.  Next fall I am going to start you in Mother's Day Out.  I think you'll have fun.  I guess that is all I can think of right now to share about you as a new 2 year old.  

I wish I could slow down time and just enjoy you as you are, but I am excited to see how God continues to grow you and shape you.  You are a very special boy and I know God has special plans in store for your life.  

I love you,
Mommy





1 comment:

  1. I am always impressed at how smart Emerson is!! So fun to see him growing up!

    ReplyDelete