Monday, May 9, 2011

Doormat Daisies

Hola Amigas!  I say amigas because I figure 99% of my readers are female (Caleb being the other 1%- of course that would assume I have 100 readers which is probably a stretch!).  Anyway, I hope you are all doing well!  I feel like I have a lot to update you on.  So, I will try to be concise in my storytelling :)  Maybe I will even categorize my topics...

Mother's Day/Baby Dedication:
I celebrated my first Mother's Day as a mother yesterday.  It was a good day :)  We had Emerson dedicated at church, which was pretty fun since it landed on Mother's Day.  My family was able to come down to see it and we went out to eat afterwards.  It was fun to celebrate with everybody.  Then our little family came home and rested during the afternoon.  One of my favorite parts of the day was when Emerson and I took a nap together, him lying on my chest.  He seems to take his best naps when sleeping on top of Caleb or me.  It is always so sweet.  Here are some pics of our Mother's Day.

 
Tulips from my boys
 This was the outfit Emerson wore for the baby dedication.  Handsome little guy, huh?  Nana's grandchildren will always dress cute if she has anything to do with it!


Flowers:
Awhile back I posted about planting some seeds in an attempt to grow flowers this year!  Well, here is the flower update.  When we had Emerson, the sprouts definitely became second (or 10th) priority.  I just about killed off all my daisies and cypress vines :(  But the zinnias have proved to be hearty plants!  They are planted by our mailbox and are growing taller everyday.  I look forward to seeing our first bud.

We also have a rose bush which was planted here before we moved in and it was developed giant, beautiful flowers all over it!

We were also surprised by another plant that has taken root in our territory.  I thought it was a weed at first so I was about to pull it out, but I realized that there was a familiar looking seed attached to it, which the plant must have sprouted from.  I looked up online and sure enough, we have a pumpkin plant!  I'm excited to see whether any pumpkins grow!
Finally, as I was walking inside our house I noticed dozens of sprouts growing from our door mat!  It seems that somehow the daisies which I have killed have scattered their little seeds onto my wet door mat.  Thus I have daisy sprouts in my door mat.  However, I am sure they will all die when they realize their roots won't go deeper than 1/4 inch.

Running:
I went on my first post pregnancy run this morning.  I ran until I was 8 months pregnant, but then began walking at that point.  So I figured this run was going to be dreadful and painful.  But I was wrong!  We ran two miles (Emerson in the jogging stroller) and only had to walk for a minute halfway through!  My next goal will be to run a 5K on June 11th (my dad's Boomtown Days run).  Because we ran this morning, we didn't have to feel so guilty about eating breakfast at the Rolling Pin.

The Rolling Pin:
It was our first time there... the down home, country type cooking.  I got the menu item called "The Rolling Pin".  It was a biscuit with a fried egg, cheese, sausage, and gravy all piled on it!  Sounds crazy huh?  I think I got all my calories for the day on that thing.  But it was worth it.

Emerson update:
Emerson has been doing well.  He's weighing in at 10 lb 4 oz now.  He has been more fussy lately which I have attributed to him being tired.  Babies need about 16 hours of sleep a day.  And Emerson has gotten to the point where he fights sleep during the day.  We are learning little tricks and techniques to foster nap taking in his daily schedule.  He was pretty fussy this morning, but we were able to get him to take a 2.5 hour nap this afternoon!  He was a new man after he woke up!  He was friendly and happy and we had some good play time and a good bath.  He has started enjoying books more (especially the animal noise ones).  He will squeal and goo throughout them.  It's pretty fun.  I just love this little guy so much!  Here are some recent pics:

Does he not look like such a boy in this pic?

matching

Emerson's new friend


Well, so much for a concise post.  I told you I had a lot to update you on!  Who knows if you even made it this far!  If you did, thanks for reading!  Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your updates!!! So glad to keep up with you all!!! Let's get together soon. Your little man is so adorable! And Happy 1st Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics of Emerson are my favorite! He's just so darn cute! I love the one of him looking in the mirror! Can't wait to see him tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete