Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sweet as Pie

I am enjoying some decaf coffee as I write this :)  all by myself :(.  That's right.  It's 9:03 pm and Caleb is still at work.  He has been enjoying his new job so far, but the longer hours have been an adjustment for both of us.  Apparently he jumped in at a really busy time for his company and has been putting in lots of hours.  Last week he was there one night until midnight and he might be there as long tonight.  His boss says it should slow down this next month.  But Caleb will be going out of town for a few days next week and I will have to stay here all by my lonesome!  I believe it is my first time to be left since we've been married!  Little Emerson and I miss Caleb when he is gone all day!  But it makes us cherish our weekends and time together as a family more. 

Emerson is doing well.  We had his two month appointment last week and Emerson had to get three shots in his little legs!  Poor little guy.  But he took it like a man... kind of.  And we found out that he weighs almost 14 pounds!  Which is the 90th percentile, mind you!  His length (23 inches) is only the 50th.  But it's crazy because he doesn't really look that chubby yet!  I'm sure it must be all muscle :)  He is still just continuing to learn and grow.  He is learning to reach out and touch (and sometimes grab) objects.  He's an expert at grabbing and pulling mommy's hair.  But he also reaches out to touch books and toys when we are playing.  He is getting pretty good head control and he also likes to stand up these days.  This boy still has mommy's heart and I don't think he's giving it back anytime soon!


Now, I have been having quite the lemon craving lately, which is slightly unusual for me because I'm typically a chocolate kinda girl.  But this lemon desire has stuck around for several weeks, so I decided to try my hand at a lemon meringue pie and it was DElish.  I decided to document it.  Here is the recipe (which is from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook). 

Lemon Meringue Pie:
Ingredients:
1 refrigerated pie crust
3 eggs
1 1/2 C sugar
3 T. flour
3 T. cornstarch
2 T. butter
1/2 C lemon juice
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. cream of tartar
6 T. sugar

As you can see I'm a fan of a Great Value
1. Prepare crust according to package directions.  Set aside.  Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue.  Allow egg whites to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before begging meringue portion.
2.  For filling, in a saucepan combine 1.5 C. sugar, flour, cornstarch, and dash of salt.  Gradually stir in 1.5 C. water.  Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly: reduce heat.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Slightly beat egg yolks with fork.  Gradually stir yolks into mixture.  Bring to a gentle boil.  Reduce heat: cook and stir 2 minutes more.  Remove from heat.  Stir in butter.  Gently stir in lemon juice.  Keep filling warm.
3.  For meringue, combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar.  Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).  Gradually add sugar 1 T at a time, beating on high 4 minutes or more until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks (tips stand straight up) and sugar dissolves. 


4.  Pour warm filling into crust.  Spread meringue over warm filling, sealing to edge. 

5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. 
6.  Lick utensils while you wait.

 7. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.  Chill for 3-6 hours.
8.  Wait patiently.
9.  And Enjoy!!

This was my first time making lemon meringue pie, so it wasn't perfect, but it definitely hit the spot.  I would definitely do this recipe again. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed with the pie! I'll definitely have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pie looks awesome! And picture perfect! Nick LOVES lemon, so I'm going to have to try this one out someday. And Emerson is such a little cutie-patootie - can't wait to see you guys again!

    ReplyDelete