Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Unique Love

I haven't been able to post since the tornado, because who really knows what to say?  Monday was just a depressing day.  I just felt heavy and close to tears for much of the day.  Then Tuesday we had a storm scare of our own.  Today feels more like a normal day.  I have just heard so many horror stories and seen so many scarring videos that I just feel like no human should ever have to go through such an experience.  No parent should ever have to identify their child at a morgue. 

I never understood what people meant when they spoke about the unique love a parent has for their child; well, until I had Emerson.  I can't even explain the love... it's deep down and protective and you just hurt for them when they hurt and you love every smile.  It's cute when they cry and even when they pee on you.  And you are so proud of them... I LOVE showing Emerson off.  I love watching him learn.  And I love it when Emerson interacts with us.  It really feels like he's a part of me.  He is one of the biggest blessings ever given to me and he brings me joy :)

This love is protective and since having Emerson (even before the tornado) I have been extra scared and cautious during storms.  Emerson won't even act scared during them, but I just have to hold him in order to feel safe.  If he was ever taken away from me... it would feel like my heart was ripped out.  It is the stories about parents losing their children during the tornado that make me want to cry most.  Now I understand the strong parental love.  Now I know why my mom had empty nest when we went to college. 

Sunday afternoon Caleb and I actually drove through Joplin on our way home from KC (where we were tremendously blessed by Caleb's family and friends with a shower).  After stopping for a visit with my family, we hit the road again and continued our drive to Fayetteville.  I drove this leg of the trip.  About 15 minutes into it, this inattentive, bad driver literally started to change lanes into our car (she was beside us).  I slammed the breaks and laid (and I mean laid) on the horn (for several seconds).  Thank the Lord, we were not hit.  I don't know how we weren't hit, but we weren't.  So I honked again.  Just in case she didn't realize I was angry.  Even telling this story again makes me well up with anger towards the other driver.  Now, I'm not the road rage driver.  I'm a fairly calm driver.  But when I have precious cargo, like Emerson, I will get aggressive (apparently)!  This driver did have an Arkansas license plate so we were with her for the most of the trip... but I wouldn't get too close!  I realized that it makes my blood boil more than anything when something threatens my baby.  Let's hope I don't deck the doctor tomorrow when he gives Emerson his two month shots!

I guess the point of this post is to say that  a parent's love is unique and is so great.  It helps me better understand the type of love that God has for his children.  And it helps me better grasp what a sacrifice it was for God when his one and only Son was sacrificed.  Our God is good, even when a massive tornado rips through a town resulting in over 1,500 people missing.  Our God is good, because even though he doesn't save every physical life, he has provided a way for our spirits to be saved eternally.  God is good and God is compassionate, even though at first glance we might not think this storm reflects those attributes.  I pray the Lord is glorified through this situation.

1 comment: