Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Parents

Mostly when I write, I talk about my own little family.  Caleb, Emerson, and me.  But for awhile, I've been meaning to write about my parents.  Some of you may know them and some of you may not, but I feel so blessed to have them as my parents.  My parents, while they have made their share of mistakes, have been such a wonderful example to my siblings and I.  I can always remember being able to talk to my parents about spiritual things.  It's always been an open topic that we feel comfortable talking about.  I always knew growing up that my parents would drop anything in an instant to pray with me if I was facing a trial.  Their love was unconditional, and I'm sure I tested that to make sure it was :) 

But they have done two big things that have really impacted my thinking and have taught me more than any of their words could ever teach me.  First, they took amazing care of my grandparents when they were sick all the way up until the day they were taken home to Jesus.  Many adults just stick their parents in a nursing home when their health goes downhill, but my parents did the best to care for them personally in the most appropriate environment.  When I was in high school, my grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and she lived with us for several years.  My mom was such an amazing example of sacrifice and love as she cared for the woman who no longer seemed like the grandma we knew.  It was trying at times, but my mom was constant and faithful to care for her.  I know my grandma would have been so proud of her if she was fully aware.  Eventually, both my grandmothers had to go into a nice nursing home (together), but my parents visited them every single day.  It was such a sacrifice for them to drive there daily after work to spend time with them, even while they were doing foster care.  I pray that I will take just as good of care of my parents/in-laws.  I have no excuse not to, because my parents were the perfect example.

The second thing my parents did that spoke volumes to me is foster care/adoption.  Not only did they care for the orphans, but they did it when most people are finally reaching the easy life.  Kids go off to college.  Retirement is within reach.  That is normally the time to live the life.  Travel.  Buy fancy things.  But my parents started all over again.  They were obedient to what God was calling them to do, even though it meant sacrificing living a life of leisure and rest.  What better example of the gospel?  I am so blessed to have parents who desire more to please their Heavenly Father than themselves.  They gave up living like the culture tells them to live and lived how God wanted them to live.  I know that they don't get much glory or recognition for parenting young children (they adopted three).  But their reward is in Heaven.  God is so pleased in their daily sacrifice of raising young kids (which I've learned can be a very hard job).  And I am humbled to watch their example and obedience.  I thank God that I have been able to witness God using them and I pray that he will use me in similar ways. 

Keep up the good work, Mom and Dad.  We are so proud of you and I'm proud to be your daughter.  Thank you for the example you have been to us.  Love you!

2 comments:

  1. WOW, thank you so much Amber. That was totally unexpected but was brought to my attention at the most perfect time. Your father and I might not have even considered doing the examples that you listed had we not had WONDERFUL and OBEDIENT daughters. You have brought tears of joy to me tonight. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! What a beautiful example!!!

    ReplyDelete