Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Measuring Stick

It's about time I post another craft on here, yes?  I have to admit I haven't felt like much of the crafty type since Emerson was born, because I choose to rest or keep house when the boy is down.  But this was a simple, practical project that I will use for years to come. 

My mother-in-law showed me this idea on Pinterest to make a giant ruler to measure your kids as they grow.  It's nice because you can take this measuring stick with you wherever you go.  You know, if you move houses.  You probably don't want to take this giant ruler with you wherever you go.  My plan is to measure my children on each birthday.  It's simple and self-explanatory on how to make it, so I won't go into the deets (cut board, measure board, paint board... I don't want you to get board..ha.).  Ok, sorry, I'll just show you the pics.


I know I look like I'm almost 6 feet in the pic above, but don't be fooled.  We started the measurements at 6 inches in case we choose to hang it on a wall so it won't interfere with the floorboard.  


 

We measured the dog.  He is about 2 feet tall.  It depends on if you count ears or not.  He probably won't be growing much in the years to come though.  He's basically an adult, around 25 in dog years.



The finished product!  I'm excited about this because it will be in our family for years.  How fun to watch our babies grow each year.  Now that, folks, is how you measure a year. 

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Is Emerson's 1 year mark on there yet? Will you do the kids marks in sharpie or what? We might have to make one of these after our big move! (I also think it's funny that you decided that none of your children will grow taller than 7'... Caleb is a pretty tall guy, you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love this idea :) and how special it will be in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I am so proud of your and your project! It looks wonderful and will be so much fun throughout the years. You will have to tell me how you did your straight lines and your numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! What a cute idea to capture the memories!!

    ReplyDelete