Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bliss

Three years, folks, is how long I've been married to my amazing husband.  Today is our anniversary.  I don't really know where to begin to express what I love about him.  Sure, he has those good qualities that you notice about him right off.  But Caleb is the type that the longer I know him, the more I realize what a blessing it was for God to let me marry him.  I've always known he was gentle and loving.  The longer I've been with him, the more I've seen his patience and slowness to become angry.  Seeing him as a father has allowed me to see his faithfulness, goodness, and wisdom.

When you first become married, you have those butterflies and that giddiness.  You feel warm fuzzies about getting to live with your best friend and do life with them.  You think it is neat that you can cuddle before you drift off to sleep or that they are the first person you see every morning.  You always have a friend to hang out with when you are at home. 


The longer you are married, the more that giddiness and excitement goes away.  But then you get a chance to experience real love.  The love that you committed to on that wedding day.  You experience a more seasoned love.  I choose to believe that a marriage ages well, like wine.  The longer you are married, the more you know your spouse.  Better than you know anyone else on the planet.  I have mostly liked what I've gotten to know in my husband.  It is by the grace of God that I've ended up with him.  I am so grateful.


Most of you know this by now, but Caleb recently switched jobs.  His prior job could be pretty demanding of his time.  For the first time since getting married, our marriage felt strained and I felt like a single mother at times.  We had one particular month that was the hardest month we'd ever had as a married couple.  Needless to say, God laid on our hearts that we should start searching for another job.  Within two weeks a door opened!  God was so faithful to provide.

After the fact, I realized that this decision revealed so much about Caleb's character and his priorities.  Many men in our culture would not choose family over work.  Caleb was faithful to act on his beliefs, rather than settle for less than the best.  I think he was brave for making that decision.

This past year was the best year yet.  We got to see each other as parents.  We transitioned into the work world and made big decisions together.  I think this past year brought us closer together and strengthened our marriage.  I hope each year in our future does the same.  My love continues to deepen for Caleb.  Happy Anniversary, babe!  Thanks for being my man :)


I look forward to growing old with you...

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! What a beautiful wedding that was!

    ReplyDelete