Friday, May 4, 2012

Sweet Spring

Emerson and I have been finding ourselves playing outside early in the cool morning since the warm summer is moving in.  This morning we went out to play right after Caleb left for work.  The grass was still wet and the humidity felt a little sticky.  But we went on a walk down the street into an older part of the neighborhood.  I decided I like older neighborhoods.  There was a yard sale going on and older folks were there.  We often have this sweet, old man who goes on walks in the mornings with his walker.  The smell of honeysuckle has been THICK this week.  And birds sure were chirping this morning.  Older neighborhoods also tend to have large trees.  I like that.  It was a good morning.  I think I almost strolled Emerson to sleep.  He's down for his morning nap now.  I hope we get to live in an older home one day.  We'll see.

This past weekend Caleb and I had an anniversary trip to Kansas City.  The highlights of the trip, in my opinion, were the cozy bed and breakfast, a delectable little chocolate shop, some late night jazz music, and the city market on Saturday morning.  The lowlight was leaving Emerson for the first time overnight.  I think it was a lot harder on me than him.  I'm glad we did it.  But it just didn't feel natural.  It didn't help that this past weekend was when Emerson was officially weaned.  I am not one of those people who feels "free" now that he is weaned.  I may even miss it a tiny bit.  We just had a very good nursing experience and I knew it was so comforting to him and it made me feel like I was able to nurture him and meet his needs.  It is bittersweet for it to end.  I came to the conclusion that God designed mothers to have such a deep love and affection toward her children (which makes it hard to leave them and wean them).  It is good God gave us this affection, because it is our nature to care for them and meet their needs.  If we weren't designed like this then there would be many more neglected babies out there.  God's design is good.



A sneak peak from our family pics.  I am hoping to get a blog makeover with these new pics soon.

3 comments:

  1. Those are the sweetest pictures! So glad I got to see you two yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you all had fun on your little anniversary adventure!!! :) Where did you listen to jazz at?!? :) Love the pics...can't wait to see some more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amber, I am Danielle's friend from college... we met at her wedding, and also friends with Kara Beckman whom I think you are in playgroup with. I just wanted you to know that I totally understand how you feel about weaning. I weaned Nora at 18 months (2 months ago) by leaving her for the weekend. It was hard for me and I definitely felt sad about it for awhile. I will say that most of that has passed now as I see her growing up so much and not being my baby. I miss those sweet times and the connection we had, but I also realize that it is good for her to be able to be independent from it as well. I am really truly looking forward to nursing our next baby and hope it goes as well as it did with Nora (I did not have a successful experience with my first child). Emerson is really cute. I'm sure you are really loving this stage!

    ReplyDelete