Monday, November 21, 2011

A Weekend Away

A few years back we decided to start an annual girls weekend for the ladies in my family.  This past weekend was that weekend!  Despite having to leave my boys, I had a blast.  Our family used to be made up of almost all females (mom, sisters, dogs... all girls).  But then we adopted two boys, married boys, and made boy babies and now we are feeling a little outnumbered.  But we still had a good showing for girls' weekend: mom, Ashley, Ariel, Alyssa (cousin who is basically a sis), and Mariah (my new sister!), and myself.  We met up for some delicious mexican food on Friday night and decided to spend the rest of the night at the hotel painting nails and watching The Grinch. 

Saturday, we slept in a little bit and then headed to paint some pottery.  We all loved getting to use a little creativity.  I have to confess that I did not go the WHOLE weekend without seeing my boys.  Caleb brought Emerson to the pottery place so I could nurse him, and spur of the moment we decided to put Emerson's hand print on my piece of pottery!  How fun!  I painted a little plate that will be great for putting candles on (or for displaying my little baby's tiny hand).  We are all excited to see our finished products after they have been kilned. 


Ariel's adorable coffee mugs for her and her fiance
Ariel, mom, Mariah, Ashley, Alyssa, and myself

We grabbed a quick lunch after painting and headed to the Promenade to do some Christmas shopping.  It was a good time.  After shopping, we headed to the Fayetteville square for the lighting of the Christmas lights!  They lit the square first and then had a parade.  If you haven't been to downtown Fayetteville during Christmas time, let me tell you it is worth the drive.  They go all out, lighting half a million lights on the square.  They also have pony rides, camel rides, and carriage rides throughout the season.  Caleb and Emerson had to join for this, since it is Emerson's first Christmas and we will probably do this as a family for years to come.  Emerson was captivated by all the lights and hustle and bustle. He didn't smile the whole time for pictures because he was too enthralled by the lights. 



After the square, the girls ventured off to Noodles, a great Italian restaurant in Fayetteville, for some delicious noodles.  I think we were all so worn out by this point, because we were laughing hysterically over dinner over some pretty silly stuff.  After dinner we went back to the hotel and pretty much went straight to bed.  We had a long day; almost twelve hours away from the hotel!  Maybe we are just getting old, but we were exhausted!  Sunday morning we woke up to head our separate directions, but not without having made lots of new memories together throughout the weekend :) 

Oh, and Caleb did a fantastic job caring for Emerson over the weekend.  I was able to be at ease the whole weekend, knowing Caleb was doing just fine.  I think the boys will enjoy their annual boys weekend while the girls are away once a year.  Caleb DID tell me that he has a new appreciation for what I do everyday ;)  It was good to be home to give my boys some big kisses.  Gotta love my boys!  ... And my girls :)

No comments:

Post a Comment