Sunday, January 13, 2013

Foster Care, 10 Days In

Let me just start by saying that we got attached a lot faster than we thought we would!  God has definitely heard our prayer to help us love her like our own.  We have reached a "new normal" I believe.  And ten days in, we already catch ourselves thinking about what adoption would be like, even though the goal for the case is still reunification with mom.  Now I pray that we will trust God's Sovereign hand in accomplishing his purpose for this one's life.  I need to trust Him and not what I think is best.

Even Emerson cried for her the other day when we dropped her off for her visit.  And before his nap yesterday, he gave her a giant hug resting his head on her shoulder.  Lord help us when she goes back home.  Emerson will definitely miss having another kid around to play with.  And she tolerates him pretty well too :)

The encouraging moment of the week was when we were reading to her from the Jesus Storybook Bible and she recognized the next story, which was about Abraham's "sacrifice" of Isaac, not the most well-known Bible story for kids in my opinion.  Apparently, someone along the way has taught her some Bible stories and she retained them better than that person thought she would, I'm sure.  Even if she is only here for 5 months, this is an opportunity to lay a foundation of the gospel.  How encouraging to know that even a 6 year old is soaking up so much of what we teach, even if we think it's going in one ear and out the other. 

Yes, we've had some rough moments, battling hair, homework, or immediate obedience, but most struggles have been common 6 year old struggles.   I do feel like God has been gracious to us with our first experience as foster parents.  I do think it is a refining and sanctifying experience and is rough at times.  He makes me new.  But I have felt like God has been guiding our steps and has given us hope at the end of each day.  Several passages of scripture have re-surfaced and encouraged me over the last ten days.  And I must say that my husband has been phenomenal.  He does great with her, of course, but he has been wonderful at picking up on my cues when I am stressed or need a break, too.  He allows me a break when needed and is just such a loving, serving man.  I am so thankful we are in this together.  And I feel like God has been gracious in that I have joy each morning... my heart feels full.  Joy in the morning and hope at night.  I pray it continues. 

 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.   2 Corinthians 5:14-15  

I pray the Lord would let me be compelled by love to no longer live for myself but for Him.  And to not think any of this is about me or what I want, but about making Him known, even if my will doesn't happen.  Thanks for reading friends. Your prayers are still coveted :)


1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about you all and wondering how you were doing! Can't wait to see you all next weekend! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete